Sunday, August 07, 2005

Quick Lo-Carb Chicken String Bean Wraps

The market had thin sliced boneless chicken breast on special, something I don't buy that often as they tend to be pricey and I can just cut my own. So I thought I'd share this rather healthy recipe that my dear partner helped brainstorm after I made these the other night for dinner. This was partly inspired from the String Bean Wraps we use to get from Su Tao restaurant, a wonderful Vegan Chinese restaurant in Malvern, PA.

First I steamed the green beans until just tender and then ran them under cold water and drained and set aside.

Next, using my biggest frying pan, filling it about 3/4" of water and bring it up to a boil, I stirred in about 5 tablespoons of some Kraft Carb Well BBQ sauce and some fresh ground pepper. I placed the chicken in the bubbly BBQ Sauce mixture and flipped them after 3-4 minutes for another 3-5 mins. I placed them on a paper towel lined plate and blotted them dry, cooled and then cut into strips, about 1/4"-1/2" wide.

With low-carb wraps (Mission Carb Balance Soft Taco Size Tortillas), then smeared some low-fat sour cream (I made a blend of sour cream and BBQ sauce for mine) and then staggered the chicken and string beans, wrapped it tightly and cut it in half!

This is another versatile recipe where the ingredients are interchangeable, pork or beef for the chicken, any vegetable you want for the string beans although I would be sure cut them in thin strips/julienned. Lastly use whatever sauces and condiments you desire! You could also marinate the string beans too!

I attempted twice to calculate the nutrition information in a program that I have and it crashed twice. I do remember the calories being around 262 each with 8g Net Carbs. NOT to shabby in my book!! I was asked if we could have more of these at our lunch and dinner table! Absolutely!

P.S. - If anyone knows of a good "freeware" nutrition calculator, please let me know!

No comments: